Saturday, January 28, 2012

Cookies and Juice!!!

I'm sure a lot of people won't understand the following statement. I love to donate blood. Really, it's something I look forward to doing every three months. It's the easiest way I can save a life.
Roughly equal to 2 units of blood

Do I love 14 gauge needles? Nope.
Do I like the hour or more it takes to complete a double red cell donation? Not really.
Do I do it for the free juice and cookies? Don't distract me, that's not what I'm going for here...

My inspiration to continually donate could have come from numerous places. Perhaps it comes from knowing that my father has been a blood recipient multiple times following surgery. It could be that I've seen trauma victims losing blood almost as fast as it could be forced into their veins. I also realize that I could somehow end up on the receiving end of a transfusion, and should that day come, I want a good supply of O+ on the shelf.

Quite a long time ago, God fulfilled his promise of a sacrifice that would suffice for the entirety of mankind. It wasn't a clean, nearly painless process of removing a little blood from Christ's veins. He was beaten, spit upon, and forced to carry his own cross. Hanging there, searing pain in His hands and feet, He gave freely to us, knowing that he could stop it if he wished. No air conditioning, an "I Gave Blood!" sticker, or cookies and juice; only a sponge soaked in vinegar and the curses of those watching him die.

I can't do anything to give someone eternal life, but I can make a difference today. As long as God keep it circulating, I'll keep donating.

No comments:

Post a Comment